1. Sorina tell us a bit about you. Why did you choose the Medical School?
Medical school was an easy choice for me as it gave me a way to achieve my dream of becoming a doctor. I have been working towards this career for a very long time, mainly because the career of a doctor is one which gives me the opportunity to help others while being actively involved in science and research.
2. How do you plan to use your studies to achieve your future career plans?
N/A (I don’t think this question applies to me as I am past the point of having to make a decision – medical school leads me straight to becoming a doctor J)
3. What do you hope to do after you graduate?
After I graduate medical school I will go on to complete a residency program in order to become a fully licensed physician. I hope to complete a pediatric residency program, as I have always had an interest in child health and believe this career would be well suited for me.
4. How did the ORCA Student Grant help you achieve your academic goals?
The ORCA Student Grant played a key role in achieving my academic goals by helping fund my medical school tuition. Medical school is notoriously expensive, thus support from wonderful sponsors such as ORCA relieves some of the associated stress.
5. Given the fact that you are one of last year’s winners, can you share with us how you found the application process for the ORCA Student Grant?
I found the application process to be fair and a great experience. The essay question provides applicants with an opportunity to reflect upon their background and heritage, and in my case reminded me once more how grateful I am for our rich Romanian culture & traditions.
6. What do you do for fun, when you are not studying?
I live in Hamilton, as I got to medical school at McMaster, and I love exploring the city. Hamilton is known as the City of Waterfalls, and I take every opportunity I can to explore them and go hiking in the beautiful parks. I also enjoy reading, being involved in my community, and taking on new adventures!
7. I notice you did quite a bit of volunteering. Some related to your field and some for the Romanian Community. What other events you would like to see taking place among the Romanian Community?
I think events geared towards youth are a fantastic idea! Events similar to those organized by ORCA youth are an excellent opportunity for Romanian-Canadian youth to meet each other, make new friends and new connections.
8. What would you recommend for those interested in applying next year for the Student Grant?
Take the time to reflect on your experiences and adventures, be proud of your Romanian heritage, get involved in the Romanian community as much as you can, and have fun!
9. Have you considered becoming an ORCA Youth member?
Absolutely, ORCA youth is an excellent opportunity for Romanian-Canadian youth.
10. Is there anything else you would like to add?
I would like to once again thank ORCA, its sponsors and the organizers of the Romanian Fall Festival for a wonderful event back in September, and for helping students with funds necessary to achieving our dreams.
Interview by: Ana-Maria Macarie